Friday, January 30, 2009

Math Curse


I thought that the book Math Curse, by Jon Scieszka that was read in class was amazing. I think that this book would be a great asset to use in my future classrooms because I feel that this book has endless possibilities for use in the classroom. The book presents a number of methods and ways to engage the students into the story while also covering the expected curriculum.

I found this book to be very easy to connect with and I think that children would also respond to it in similar ways. I found that it shows students that mathematics can be frustrating but at the same time rewarding. Also it shows children some of the ways that mathematics is used in everyday life such as figuring out time and how to sharing things such as cupcakes among a certain number of people. I think that it is very significant that students understand why they need to learn and understand mathematics for the reason that I believe once a child comprehends this then it can be a great motivational tool.

The story itself is also very well written for children because its in the eyes of a child and shows how children can sometimes get overwhelmed and annoyed when learning new information. I found that the illustrations that accompanied the text to be very powerful and captivating. The use of colors and placement of objects made the pictures look very interesting. I think that this is also a great way to draw in the reader and to fascinate young students into the story and have the raise questions. I think that this was a magnificent book and I would absolutely recommended it to other teachers, parents, friends, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment