Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Do Schools Kill Creativity? : Response

Sir Ken Robinson really made me reflect about the way that we react and respond to creativity within the classroom. I found that his nature to convey his ideas of comedy to captivate the audience to be tremendously effective for me. It not only made me pay attention to what was being said but made the material easier to comprehend. It was through this humour that I could actually see how teachers often do hide away and discourage creativity. For example when he talked about the child that was drawing and when the teacher asked what she was drawing the young child responded by saying God. I found it interesting that instead of the teacher placing encouragement or prompting the child to further elaborate on why the child was drawing God, the teacher negatively replied with no one knows what God looks like. This really got my concentration because it made me think back to my own experiences as a child and as a result I could recall incidents like this one were creativity in schools was discouraged.

The video meant a lot for me as a future primary/elementary schoolteacher in particular with regards to teaching mathematics to children because it has opened my eyes to the importance of creativity and to allow students to try different methods no matter the subject area. I feel that mathematics is constantly assumed by the teacher to be approached in the way that it is taught in class and that any variation of that way is looked at as an exceedingly negative approach. I personally disagree with this, I feel that mathematics has numerous ways and formats and we, as teachers need to encourage our students to use their creativity even if it does result as a mistake. I consider mistakes to be the opening for greater learning. Also I found from the video the insight that a lot of times teachers discourage creativity unknowingly. I think that since this video has brought it to my attention I may be more aware of this and promote creativity within the classroom whenever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment