Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fun With Fractions and Creative Problem Solving


Today we began class by playing and experimenting with our colourful shapes that represented a specific fraction. For example the full white sheet represented a whole unit, while the pink paper that was cut down the middle represented two halves. The opportunity to observe and distinguish the colors into the appropriate fraction that they represented made it much easier to understand what each fraction was and why. For example when looking at how two halves equal a whole the student is able to place the two halves over the whole and see that they are the same.

Having a visual element greatly enhances the ability for students to make connections between definitions and words. From my own experience I know that having this type of engagement when I was a student would have made learning fractions a much easier challenge. I found that by having a visual aid made comprehension of the material and ideas much more meaningful as the activity was not only words but had a concrete base behind it. When I was in school there were only numbers recited over and over and specific formulas and rules to follow as a means of directions. It was because of my lack of awareness that I was unable to fully understand the full concept of fractions. I found it difficult to see how fractions related to each other and therefore struggled through the whole unit, however when using the creative shapes it almost instantly clicked and I could see some of the relationships between fractions. The problem solving activity based around using our fraction pieces aided greatly with the building of this newfound understanding. I found myself thinking more and I became deeply engaged.

Then we preceded the class with a number of creative problem solving activities that really got me thinking. I really enjoyed the straw game because it got me strategising about how to out smart my competitor. After a few games I began to see patterns and ways to win the game. Such as leaving only a certain number of straws so that my competitor would be forced to pick up that last straw.

No comments:

Post a Comment